March 25, 2014
How Moisture Can Affect A Building’s Condition
Environmental Site Assessment in the Bay Area
Moisture seems innocuous. But it can cause significant stresses and damage to structures:
- Dampness can help bacteria, mold, and other fungi and microbes grow.
- These microorganisms can generate dangerous compounds, such as allergenic spores, inflammatory chemicals, and volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- An increase in humidity can cause the proliferation of dust mites in a home or building. As humidity increases above 50% in a room, dust mites will thrive. Flakes from these mites — as well as feces and other organic materials ejected from them — can cause allergies. Studies have also found a close correlation between increased humidity levels in buildings and dust mite allergens.
- Moisture can also lead to the degassing of dangerous chemicals from wood, such as formaldehyde and resins.
- Alcohol and other organic compounds can be emitted when concrete and PVC piping get soaked.
How to Manage a Water Leak Problem at Your Bay Area Facility
Whether you need help with mold testing, environmental site assessment, or other forms of environmental remediation or engineering, the team here at Esseltek can help you.
We have diverse, extensive experience with industrial hygiene, job hazard analysis, and exposure monitoring. We perform due diligence assessments, investigations, and reporting. Get in touch with us today to deal with your Bay Area building environmental needs â€“ including soil testing, lead paint inspection, mold testing, and radon testing. Call us at 1-800-595-7616 now for a free consultation.